Status of tinc, and release plans for 1.0 and further.

Ivo Timmermans zarq at zebra.icicle.yi.org
Mon May 1 19:21:22 CEST 2000

Hi all,

It seemed like a good idea to post updates here every now and then
about the progress of the development of tinc.

Right now, we're mainly hunting bugs.  While doing this, we stumbled
upon some shortcomings of the meta protocol, possibly dangerous.  So
Guus and I are now working on a new protocol, which will be
incompatible with the standing 0.3 protocol (version 4).  Whether or
not the next version will be able to speak with older versions is
still unclear.

Because tinc has gained in stability over the last few weeks, it seems
reasonable to call this next version `1.0'.

Before brining out the final 1.0, we'll distribute a few prereleases,
so everybody gets a fair chance to experiment, and we have some time
to squash any bugs left.

Thanks to Lubomír Bulej and Mads Kiilerich, there will be rpms of
this version, and if everything goes well, there will also be a deb of
it.

That's just about all for now, 'till next time.

--
Ivo Timmermans

Deja moo: the feeling you've heard this bullshit before.