Tinc process fails if one of the hosts is provided with the wronk key (human error)

Ercolino De Spiacico bellocarico at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 13 09:55:47 CEST 2020

As per title I've noticed my tinc network was down today. After a brief investigation I discovered the process had just failed on the devices of interest.

What was it changed from the day before?

I've added a new host to the network.

Due to a human error I copied the wrong Ed25519PublicKey into the devices in question. Checking the logs I can see an extensive attempt to connect to the new host was made and eventually the tinc process was terminated.

Sep 12 23:32:09 tomato213w daemon.warn tinc[20102]: Error looking up sparrow.xyxyxyx.net port 655: Name or service not known
Sep 12 23:32:20 tomato213w daemon.notice tinc[20102]: Got Terminated signal
Sep 12 23:32:20 tomato213w daemon.notice tinc[20102]: Terminating

What I'm puzzled about is: I'm ok with the new host not being reachable as this is expected as a minimum, not sure about the tinc process terminating itself if one of the hosts has the wrong key.

I'm wondering if this can be corrected in the next release.

Thanks!