High tinc traffic on ethernet without tinc load

Maximilian Stein m at steiny.biz
Mon Mar 23 19:02:22 CET 2020

Could the traffic explosion be explained by broadcast packages?

I could imagine broadcasts floating through the network for a long time.
I wouldn't see them when I tcpdump the tinc interface if the packages
actually stay within the network and are not handed to the kernel.

Unfortunately, I don't understand enough about the tinc internals to
asses if that makes sense at all. I saw that in tinc 1.1 there is a
possibility to pcap tinc traffic at the local node. Is that possible in
tinc 1.0, too?

Cheers,
Maximilian