tinc crashing behind "stateless firewall"

contact at ingolf-wagner.de contact at ingolf-wagner.de
Tue Jan 28 02:10:15 CET 2020

I had a problem in a hostel a few weeks back.
My "server" (the one machine which has a public IP) was crashing when
started connecting my laptop in the WiFi of the hostel.

I don't know if this data helps, but
I created an experiment setup and saved journald logs and dumpcap dumps,
from the "server" and the "client" (the laptop in the WiFi of the
hostel)

I talked to people and the term that fell was "stateless firewall".
I *BELIEVE* the firewall in the hostel was dropping packages which
are important for the tinc protocol.

Anyway I guess tinc should be able to handle this in any case and not
crash, or be killed by the kernel.

You can download all the date I logged here :
https://git.ingolf-wagner.de/palo/tinc-crash-test-data/src/master/tinc-crash-test-data

I hope it contains a bit of helping information, and we can improve
tinc (which is already awesome :D)

Regards
palo