High tinc traffic on ethernet without tinc load (Maximilian Stein)

Maximilian Stein m at steiny.biz
Wed Apr 1 17:53:51 CEST 2020

Hey PHB,

Thanks for your suggestion and your patch.

> I think may be cause by MTU proble if you have many peer. you can run
> tincd with -d 5 or tincd -n "yournetname" -k INT , check the log file
> to see what happen.

I have experimented a bit with the tinc.conf options, and apparently
this issue is related to broadcasts.

I set `Broadcast = no` and `DecrementTTL = yes` and since that time,
there has not been any of these traffic spikes. So it might be that they
were caused by packages circulating within the network forever.

Moreover, I noticed that according to tinc.conf(5) `Forwarding` is set
to `internal` by default (I didn't change this option), which explains
why my iptables filters on broadcast packages were useless.

Would this be consistent with the MTU issue you described?

I am hesitating to revert from this functioning setup (I don't need
broadcasts), but of course want to support development if it's a real
issue. So, if you think it's worth I try, I'd compile tinc with your
patch and try it.

Best,
Max