very high traffic without any load

Lars Kruse lists at sumpfralle.de
Tue May 7 01:17:58 CEST 2019

Hello Christopher,

Am Mon, 6 May 2019 21:57:09 +0200
schrieb "Christopher Klinge" <Christ.Klinge at web.de>:

> shouldn't these two rules work as well?
>
> ip route add <remote public ipv6>/64 via 1111:1::1
> ip route add <remote public ipv6>/0 dev<own internet interface>
>
> According to my knowledge thus far, linux should pick routes based on
> specificity. Since /0 is more specific than /64, it should pick that rule
> whenever the remote public ipv6 is targeted directly.

Yes, that is my understanding, too.

I think, the culprit is here:

 ip route add <remote public ipv6>/0 dev<own internet interface>

I think, it should be the following instead:

 ip route add <remote public ipv6>/0 via <your_local_default_gateway>

(I think, your "dev" route will lead to ARP requests on the local interface for
public IP addresses - they obviously cannot resolve)

Please note that my comments above are only based on my understanding of IPv4.
Thus I may have missed some nuances of IPv6 ...

Cheers,
Lars