Reload subnet config with HUP signal

Armin Schindler armin at melware.de
Fri Mar 15 20:51:53 CET 2019

Hi,

I need to re-open the thread blow. The situation is still the same.
The HUP signal does not trigger reloading of subnet declarations in own
hosts file (Version 1.0.35).
After a quick view to the source code, file src/net.c shows in line 658
would reload subnets when using StrictSubnets only.
But why? With StrictSubnets it doesn't make sense to me.

I did a quick check and removed the
  if (strictsubnets)
to let HUP signal reload sunets and it works.

So why is the update of local subnet declaration with HUP signal possible in
StrictSubnet mode only?

Armin

Am Sa., 5. Dez. 2015 um 15:10 Uhr schrieb Armin Schindler <armin at melware.de
>:
Hello Guus,
On 11/18/2015 11:22 AM, Guus Sliepen wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 08:25:28AM +0100, Armin Schindler wrote:
>
>> But I have a question regarding "Subnet=" possibilities. When I have
more than
>> one Server acting as host for VMs and need to have automatic routing to
>> all VMs on these servers, can I use tinc to create this routing
automatically?

>> My idea is to have a script which is started when a VM is started/stopped
>> which will add/remove an Subnet=x.x.x.x/32 entry for this VMs IP address
in
>> the local hosts file of that node and send a HUP signal to tincd.
>> Will tinc announce this new routing destination to all other nodes
immediately?

> Yes, that will work. It might be a bit easier of you use the tinc 1.1
> prerelease, or at least use the "tinc" command from 1.1, so you can add
> and remove subnets simply by running:
>
> tinc -n <netname> add Subnet x.x.x.x/32
>
> If you are running a 1.1preX tincd, it will automatically get notified,
> if you are running a 1.0.x tincd, you have to do "tincd -n <netname>
> -kHUP" to have it update its Subnets.

it doesn't work. tincd doesn't reread the its hosts config file to
get the new Subnet settings.
I rewrote the hosts/<my host> file (adding a Subnet) and sent
the HUP signal. But with USR2 signal, each node and the local itself
doesn't show anything about the new Subnet entry.
Did I miss something?
I need to stay with version 1.0.

Armin