debugging, dns resolving not stable with tinc to linux bridge and increasing clients

Jelle de Jong jelledejong at powercraft.nl
Tue Jan 8 12:59:24 CET 2019

Hello everybody,

I am starting to debug a issue I have with a tinc server.

Tinc server is connected to a Linux bridge br0 to a local network and
every Tinc client connects with DHCP over this bridge to the local network.

DNS and everything else are going over the tinc vpn connection.

The past few months the clients (all windows) are reporting that DNS
resolving stops working and they have to restart the TINC client and the
TINC server to make it work again. The number of clients and traffic has
increased the past few months and I am wondering what bottle neck may be
causing this behaviour, the clients are connected and they have access
to the Windows domain and file server, but DNS resolving stops working.

# brctl showmacs br0 | wc -l
116

Their are no overflow messages from the kernel.

The only errors I can find are "Metadata socket read errors"

net.ipv4.neigh.default.gc_thresh1 = 128
net.ipv4.neigh.default.gc_thresh2 = 512
net.ipv4.neigh.default.gc_thresh3 = 1024
net.ipv4.neigh.default.gc_interval = 30
net.ipv4.neigh.default.gc_stale_time = 60

This is a ipv4 only TINC server.

Any ideas?

Kind regards and best wishes,

Jelle de Jong (GNU/Linux Consultant)