Cannot ping subnet hosts

Davide L davide.lovreglio at gmail.com
Thu May 24 17:50:50 CEST 2018

 Dear all,

I am trying to configure a basic TINC vpn between two sites using OpenWRT
routers. The link seems to work, the ping between the two routers is ok,
but I can't ping hosts between the subnets behind the routers.

This is the configuration:

======== SITE 1 (CLIENT) - polimnia (subnet 192.168.4.0/24, gw 192.168.4.1)

tinc.conf
-------------
Name = polimnia
ConnectTo = calliope

hosts/polimnia
---------------------
Subnet = 172.16.0.4/32
Subnet = 192.168.4.0/24

tinc-up script
-------------------
#!/bin/sh
ip link set $INTERFACE up
ip addr add 172.16.0.4/24 dev $INTERFACE
ip route add 192.168.2.0/24 dev $INTERFACE

======== SITE 2 (SERVER) - calliope (subnet 192.168.2.0/24, gw 192.168.2.1)

tinc.conf
-------------
Name = calliope

hosts/calliope
---------------------
Address = [ip public address] ........
Subnet = 172.16.0.2/32
Subnet = 192.168.2.0/24

tinc-up script
-------------------
#!/bin/sh
ip link set $INTERFACE up
ip addr add 172.16.0.2/24 dev $INTERFACE
ip route add 192.168.4.0/24 dev $INTERFACE

When I run both tincd daemons in verbose mode, the connection starts
correctly and the two routers can reach each others, but not the hosts in
the subnets.

I tried deactivating the firewalls on both routers, thus I don't think it
is a firewall issue.

The line "ip route add" is in both tinc-up script, so it should work....

I don't know how to solve the problem.

Thank you in advance for any help.
Davide