Issue using tinc-vpn on Windows Server 1709 with Docker Overlay Network

Marc Hoersken info at marc-hoersken.de
Sun May 20 20:08:38 CEST 2018

Hi Etienne,

Am 20.05.2018 um 10:58 schrieb Etienne Dechamps:
> Hi Marc,
>
> A number of bugs have been found and fixed in the code that deals with
> Windows devices in tinc 1.1:
>
> https://github.com/gsliepen/tinc/pull/169
> https://github.com/gsliepen/tinc/pull/173
> https://github.com/gsliepen/tinc/pull/174
> https://github.com/gsliepen/tinc/pull/181
> https://github.com/gsliepen/tinc/pull/182

Thanks for the listing. To me it looks like #174 and #181 might solve my
issue.

> Unfortunately, these fixes have not made it in a tinc 1.1 release yet,
> but when they do, I suspect you will observe improvements. Perhaps
> Guus might be inclined to cut a release so that people can try them.

That would be great and would allow me to test the fixes and give
feedback regarding the compatibility of tinc-vpn with Docker and Hyper-V
VM switches.

> I would also suggest you try with the "old" TAP 9.0.0.9 driver (the
> one that ships with tinc). In experiments I did about 3 years ago, the
> TAP-Win32 9.0.0.21 branch (NDIS6) was not as fast and reliable with
> tinc as legacy 9.0.0.9.

Before upgrading to TAP 9.21.2 I actually tried the old one that is
bundled with tinc-vpn. Unfortunately that caused more errors on Windows
Server 1709 and to me it therefore looks like the NDIS6 branch might be
more stable on that Windows version. But once a new tinc-vpn pre-release
is out, I will try it with both TAP driver versions.

Best regards,
Marc