Issue using tinc-vpn on Windows Server 1709 with Docker Overlay Network

Marc Hoersken info at marc-hoersken.de
Sun May 20 10:44:26 CEST 2018

Am 20.05.2018 um 01:15 schrieb Mike Bentzen:
> I've not had success with using tinc and docker together. I came up
> against similar problems. Docker iptables in Linux seem quite
> complicated as well, messing with the network stack.

Just to be clear, I am talking about running tinc on the host system and
using docker containers attached to the tinc interface on the host.

> I've seen a few tinc docker images that run tinc as a container - I
> haven't tried this.

Yes, at the moment it is not possible to install/run tinc with a TAP
device inside a Windows container, see:
https://github.com/docker/for-win/issues/1909

I guess that is because a container with process isolation cannot
create/manage devices like the TAP device.

> Please let us know if you do actually get it working - im very
> interested to know.

But it is possible to run tinc in a Linux container on a Linux host
using the network mode "host", see for example:
https://github.com/mback2k/docker-tinc

You just need to put the tinc configuration into a mounted volume under
/etc/tinc and make sure the container uses network mode "host".