Port numbers

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Thu Mar 22 16:46:11 CET 2018

On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 06:31:27AM +0000, Peter Whisker wrote:

> In the case where you have access to TCP and UDP outbound initiated
> connections and no choice of the port numbers due to the firewall setup it
> would be very useful to be able to specify both the UDP and TCP ports that
> tinc uses separately. Currently in 1.0 I end up with a TCP based VPN
> because I can't tell tinc which UDP port to connect to the remote side on.
> Could this be added to 1.1?

If you really cannot have the same port number for both TCP and UDP,
then the workaround is to add this to tinc.conf:

ListenAddress = * <TCP port>
ListenAddress = * <UDP port>

And in the host config file of that node:

Port = <UDP port>
Address = <public address> <TCP port>

This works for both tinc 1.0 and 1.1.