Improving packets/sec and data rate - v1.0.24

Jared Ledvina jared at techsmix.net
Wed May 17 19:00:37 CEST 2017

Hi,

Terribly sorry about the duplicated message.

I've completed the upgrade to Tinc 1.0.31 but, have not seen much of a
performance increase. The change looks to be similar to switching to
both aes-256-cbc w/ sha256 (which are now the default so, that makes
sense).
Out tinc.conf is reasonably simple:
Name = $hostname_for_node
Device = /dev/net/tun
PingTimeout = 60
ReplayWindow = 625
ConnectTo = $remote_node_name_here
ConnectTo = $remote_node2_name_here
ConnectTo = $remote_node3_name_here
ConnectTo = $remote_node4_name_here
ConnectTo = $remote_node5_name_here
ConnectTo = $remote_node6_name_here

Sadly, I'm out of ideas on how to improve the performance here. I've
tried to change the following sysctl settings:
net.core.somaxconn='4096'
net.core.rmem_max='16777216'
net.core.wmem_max='16777216'
as was recommended by one of peers. That seems to have actually
decreased the perf across the board by around 2% (but that might just be
due to fluctuations in the network, I'm not entirely sure)

One of my iperf3 tests is between 2 c3.large AEC2 instances in us-east.
I'm able to get ~556Mb/s over the internet. Going soley over the Tinc
network though, that drops to 158Mb/s. For instances in the same region
(I'm testing in Ireland, Oregon, and Virginia) to instances within that
region, I'm averaging around 26% over the bandwidth being availible over
the tinc network versus over the internet.

Is that % overhead expected or have we just poorly configured something?

Totally willing to grab any numbers/stats that might assist here.

Thanks again,
Jared

--
  Jared Ledvina