Subnet authority and trust

Etienne Dechamps etienne at edechamps.fr
Fri May 5 19:26:47 CEST 2017

Hi Parke,

Your assessment is correct. tinc will follow any subnet advertisements that
it receives over the metaconnection graph. Subnet declarations in host
files are only used by the tinc instance running on that specific host to
determine which subnets it should advertise to others. I believe the
rationale is to make it possible to add new nodes (with their own subnets)
to the network (or change existing ones) without having to distribute host
files to every other node, which would not scale well.

If StrictSubnets=yes is used, then it's the opposite: tinc will only follow
its own host files and ignore any dynamic subnet advertisements made over
the network.

In general however, I would advise against trusting other nodes, even with
StrictSubnets=yes. tinc is not currently designed to provide strong
protection against insider attacks - for the most part it assumes that
every node inside the metaconnection graph can be trusted. In my opinion
tinc will do poorly in a scenario where a "compromised node" is part of
your threat model.