Tinc hangs if started with network disconnected

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Fri Feb 17 10:59:09 CET 2017

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 09:55:26AM +0100, Sandro Stiller wrote:

> On my system, tinc is started on bootup.
> If the Network cable is not connected, tincd hangs forever after these messages:
[...]
> 2017-02-13 11:34:02 tinc.XXX[403]: Error looking up XXX.net port 2300: Temporary failure in name resolution
[...]
> Even if I reconnect the interface, tinc does not continue.
> If I restart the service manually, everything works fine, even with disconnected network interface (it tries again and again until internet connection works).
> I think, there is some kind of boot-time race condition.
> It's the same problem with version 1.0.28 and 1.0.31.

Does it not log anything anymore after those messages? Or does it
continue giving the "Error looking up..." message periodically?

In the first case, try sending tinc the ALRM and/or HUP signal (tincd -n
<netname> -kALRM). This should cause tinc to retry outgoing connections
immediately.

If that doesn't help, it could be that libc doesn't reload
/etc/resolv.conf after the network connection came up. Tinc has code to
force glibc to reload that file every time it wants to do a hostname
lookup. Did you compile tinc yourself? If so, can you send us a copy of
the config.h file?

In any case, which Linux distribution are you using?