LocalDiscovery flip flopping and network design tips

Etienne Dechamps etienne at edechamps.fr
Tue Feb 14 21:43:45 CET 2017

Hang on a second. I've just re-read your original message and I
believe you are confused about what the "Subnet" option does. Again,
it deals with addresses *inside* the VPN. In the configuration you
posted you seem to be using 10.240.0.4 and 10.240.0.5 as internal
addresses, but then your other statements (and especially your dump
edges output) seem to indicate that 10.240.0.4 and 10.240.0.5 are
*also* the physical addresses of the machines on their physical
network interfaces.

That's not going to work: as soon as tinc manages to establish the
VPN, 10.240.0.4 and 10.240.0.5 become routable on *both* the virtual
and physical interfaces, resulting in conflicts, and it all goes
downhill from there. That would completely explain the weird phenomena
you're reporting. If you make sure to use different IP subnets for VPN
addresses and physical addresses, your problems should go away.