Concept clarification between multiple ConnecTo and multiple netname

Bright Zhao startryst at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 01:53:17 CEST 2017

Hi, Tinc experts

I’m on-boarding for Tinc for just quite a few days, and trying to setup the connection between one client to multiple server, where multiple vpn tunnels from the client to different server. From the documentation, it indicate the tinc.conf can support multiple ConnecTo, also the tinc can support multiple netname, like /etc/tinc/net1, /etc/tinc/net2.

My question is, for my above use case, I should go with multiple netname instead of multiple ConnectTo, right? I did some tests, and I found no matter how many ConnectTos I placed in the tinc.conf(on the client side), only one connection can made to the server, and only one tun0 bring up with is the p2p connection can only go with one server, even though from debug message, I saw to connections all established, but only one connection is pingable.

If this is the case, then can I assume the ConnectTo in the tinc.conf is connection by sequence which is a failover machoism, instead of "connect them all"? But multiple netname can do the “connect them all"

--
Bright Zhao sent from Gmail