Upcoming laws and the state of privacy in Europe?

Martin Eskdale Moen martinmoen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 13:28:02 CEST 2017

Hi, I'm not trying to rock any boats or make noise and I'm not interested
in discussing politics either, but I just wanted to get a general feel for
what the rest of the tinc community felt in regards to how the EU looks
like it wants to completely break encryption and make tools like
tinc unfeasible.
Both Germany and France want this to happen and in the UK the snoopers
charter has provisions for this (although not tested in court yet).
I think Netherlands, Norway and Finland are considering similar laws.
Not sure which country isn't doing this.

Any ideas on how we can keep tinc safe if for instance tomorrow the
majority of countries in Europe decided that encryption is no longer
allowed without government keys being used.

I think simply saying that tinc is open source isn't exactly an answer, it
would mean we individually have to read every line of source, understand
and continue to read every patch that is made going forwards.