Define which host to use when direct link not possible?

Armin armin at melware.de
Thu Sep 1 09:07:53 CEST 2016

On 31.08.2016 14:16, Guus Sliepen wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 10:47:01AM +0200, Armin wrote:
>
>>> You can set IndirectData = yes in hosts/office-2 on hosts/office-1, and
>>> vice versa, to prevent it from trying a direct connection.
>>>
>>> Note that you also should not have ConnectTo = office-2 in office-1's
>>> tinc.conf, and vice versa, otherwise the above will not have any effect.
>>
>> Understood. But this will keep tinc from doing direct only, but it may
>> use *any* other host to transfer the data, right?
>
> Correct.
>
>> I would like to set a specific host (with best connection) to be the
>> 'man-in-the-middle'.
>
> Then have the man-in-the-middle set "Weight = 0" in its host config
> file. That will cause it to get a higher priority when deciding how to
> route packets if there are multiple paths with the same number of hops.

I did this in the hosts file in office-1, but it has no effect. Maybe it
is overwritten when the real config from man-in-the-middle is known?

Setting this Subnet and its Weight in the hosts file on the
man-in-the-middle doesn't work. The routing then seems to be messed up
and it
would be wrong anyway to tell all nodes to route office-1, office-2 via
that man-in-the-middle. This should be done for the connection between
office-1 and office-2 only.

Armin