tinc doesn't find tap device / windows 10 x64

Benjamin Kurschies benjamin at kurschies.de
Fri Nov 4 11:09:07 CET 2016

Hello Community,

I'm using tinc a while, but now it's the first time i have to install it on my first windows 10 client... bah, i hate windows 10, but anyway...

so i just got the latest stable version of tinc and installed it the usual way - so far no problem... tap virtual adapter is present and configured, tinc config is the same as usual, so i just started the daemon... and it doesn't work. I have tried to use the latest beta (1.1 pre 14) and also replaced the tap device with the latest version from the openvpn homepage - still the same result.

the output of the console looks like this:

c:\Program Files\tinc>tincd -n mynetwork -D -d5

tincd 1.1pre14 (May 1 2016 20:42:24) starting, debug level 5

No Windows tap device found!

Disabling (null)

Terminating

and I have no idea how to get it work... same steps worked very well on windows 7

My environment: fresh installed Windows 10 pro / x64  / Version 1607 / Build 14393.351

there is no additional software like virus scanner etc - I also tried to disable windows defender and firewall, no success...

Has anyone a good idea how to get it working?

regards

Benjamin