is it possible to let two nodes in different LAN directly connected with another public server ?

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Wed Nov 2 10:56:06 CET 2016

On Wed, Nov 02, 2016 at 03:51:15PM +0800, Zhang Jun wrote:

> pc1(LANa)  ----poor connection ----> VPS  <--------- PC2(LANb)
>
> pc1 and pc2 used to connected directly with tinc, since pc1 used to have
> WAN IP(pppoe),
> but the pppoe IP is not WAN IP anymore (ISP changed to let all ADSL user in
> a LAN).
>
> if I let the two pc connect to a VPS with tinc,
> can later connections between pc1 and pc2 be directly ?
> for example, ssh from pc1 to pc2 but not proxyed by VPS.

As long as pc1's ISP allows NAT hole punching, tinc should be able to
make a direct connection. If it's not possible, tinc will automatically
fall back to relaying traffic between pc1 and pc2 via the VPS.

Note that if pc2 still has a real WAN IP address, you can just have pc1
ConnectTo pc2, you don't need a VPS in that case.