tinc using docker containers

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Thu Dec 29 13:54:04 CET 2016

On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 12:16:04AM +0000, Guillermo Bisheimer wrote:

> I've recently built a docker container to easily install and configure tinc
> 1.1pre14 in any machine using docker containers. I've created a Github repo
> in https://github.com/bys-control/docker-tinc

Great! One comment: ifconfig is considered deprecated on Linux. I'm sure
the command will stay around, but it is better to use the "ip" command
in new projects. The recommended way to write a tinc-up script is:

#!/bin/sh
ip addr add $TINC_IP dev $INTERFACE
ip link set dev $INTERFACE up

You don't need a separate netmask, you can use CIDR notation (for
example: TINC_IP=192.168.1.1/24).

> I'm working in a WEB based admin interface for managing tinc daemons. Right
> now it's just a JSON API for tinc, but I'm working in developing the front
> end.

Interesting. I'd like to see the JSON API when it's finished, maybe this
is something to be supported by tinc itself in the future.