tinc initialization (in both Red Hat and Debian families)

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Thu Sep 24 22:30:50 CEST 2015

On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 05:45:36PM +0200, Guus Sliepen wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 05:51:30PM +0300, Răzvan Sandu wrote:
>
> > IMHO, we need:
> >
> > 1. A proper tinc.service file, included by default (prepackaged) in the
> > stock .deb and .rpm packages in Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu, CentOS, etc.
> >
> > By "proper" I mean it will start tinc at the correct time during system's
> > initialization, have proper permissions, etc.

I had already experimented with systemd service files before, I just
added them to the 1.1 branch. You can see them here:

http://tinc-vpn.org/git/browse?p=tinc;a=tree;f=systemd;hb=refs/heads/1.1

There are two service files; tinc at .service
and tinc.service. The first is a template that allows you to enable and
start/stop individual instances of tinc, like in:

systemctl enable tinc at foo
systemctl start tinc at foo

This starts tincd -n foo. The second service file is itself a dummy, but
all template instances are slaved to this one (using PartOf), so you can
start/stop all tinc daemons in one go, like:

systemctl start tinc

Let me know if these work for you or not.