tinc stopped working after restart

Åsmund Rabbe aarabbemail at saudanett.org
Wed May 20 00:39:47 CEST 2015

The configuration files are untouched, but I have been adding nodes since
last restart.
The only thing I can think of is that it was installed on a Ubuntu server
with automatic security updates turned on. Not that I understand why this
would brake tinc.

After hours of searching and trying I came up with an idea:
I installed tinc on a fresh Ubuntu installation and copied the config and
all the keys from Node1 to the new server.
Like magic all nodes connected again. Both 1.1pre10 and 1.1pre11 nodes.

Now upgrading all nodes to 1.1pre11 :-)
I understand that its not an good idea to mix protocol versions. But I dont
think this is the reason all nodes went down.

Åsmund