Two nodes with same key?

Etienne Dechamps etienne at edechamps.fr
Mon May 11 22:15:10 CEST 2015

On 11 May 2015 at 20:00, Graham Cobb <g+tinc at cobb.uk.net> wrote:
> Does tinc break if the two ends of the connection disagree about the
> name?  For example if my old hub was called "hub" and I told my new
> hub it was called "new-hub", would clients that that tried to connect
> to "hub" using a DNS name which now points to the new hub fail to connect?

tinc node names have nothing to do with DNS names. The name of a tinc
node is the file name of the host file. For example if the path to the
node file is /etc/tinc/hosts/foobar, then the node name is foobar, and
that's used as the unique identifier for the node within the tinc
network.

The name of the file needs to be the same on both sides of a
connection, otherwise the connection can't be established.

In addition, two different machines must not use the same node name
while trying to connect to a tinc network; otherwise serious chaos
will ensue.