Two nodes with same key?

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Mon May 11 19:59:51 CEST 2015

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 06:43:22PM +0100, Graham Cobb wrote:

> I am wondering if tinc breaks if two hosts have the same key?  I am
> guessing it probably does! [...] (and the same name, but I assume
> tinc host names are only meaningful locally)

It does not break if two nodes have the same key, although it is
unrecommended and there might be security issues with that scenario.

Tinc does break if you have two nodes that have the same Name online at
the same time, since those are used to uniquely identify nodes in the
VPN.

Netnames are only used locally.