Isolating a subnet on demand

Etienne Dechamps etienne at edechamps.fr
Mon May 4 22:30:49 CEST 2015

I'm still confused, but in any case, there's nothing stopping "miou"
from impersonating "apeliote"'s subnets in your case, unless you use
StrictSubnets.

Here's the easiest way to do the spoofing:

In miou's own node file (on the miou machine itself), add apeliote's
subnets with a Weight smaller than 10 (which is the default), so that
it overrides them.

For example, if apeliote has a single 1.2.3.0/24 subnet, then add the
following to miou's own node file (on the miou machine, not on
Neptune):

  Subnet = 1.2.3.0/24#1

Alternatively, you can do this without messing with the weights simply
by declaring two more specific subnets:

  Subnet = 1.2.3.0/25
  Subnet = 1.2.3.128/25

If you do this, then Neptune will happily accept the spoofed subnets,
and apeliote will become unreachable while miou intercepts all
communications.

This is the primary reason why it's a very bad idea to let untrusted
nodes join a tinc network. The only way to defend against this type of
attack is to use StrictSubnets.