Configuration advice on a single interface server

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Wed Mar 18 09:40:04 CET 2015

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 10:38:24AM +0800, Terry T wrote:

> Is it possible to configure a bridge mode VPN with only a single physical
> interface eth0. The scenario is that the proposed tinc server is assigned a
> static 10.10.145.254/24 that is connected to a Cisco router. Incoming
> traffic can be set up to be forwarded to this server.

An example of how to set up tinc with a bridge on Linux can be found
here:

http://www.tinc-vpn.org/examples/bridging/

> Remote tinc client has a need to receive multicast hence the server must be
> configured in bridge mode. However, I can't get my head around configuring
> the bridge for the server, and the setup for the client.

The setup on the client is trivial; just give the virtual network
interface an address in the same range as on the server's eth0. You can
even use DHCP if there is a DHCP server on the server's LAN.