decentralised vpn with dynamic ips

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Tue Jan 27 00:27:20 CET 2015

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 08:22:58PM +0100, M.k. wrote:

> I am using the current 1.0 stable.
> I have tinc daemons on different dynamic ip connections.
> They have ports forwarded.
> They are using switch mode.
>
> I have 1 box which has dynamic dns set up.
> I would like everyone to use that for bootstrapping using ConnectTo.
> However I do NOT want that host to tunnel all traffic due to downtimes and bandwidth limitations.
>
> Can i get tinc to share the ips of the peers with eachother or must i have everyone on dynamic dns?
> That would get messy pretty quick.

As long as that host is up, it will tell all other nodes about each
others IP addresses. Normally, that will cause traffic between those
other nodes to go directly between them, not via the host with dyndns.
The only problem is when the dyndns host goes down, and if all other
nodes only have a ConnectTo that host, then they won't be able to see
each other anymore. A simple solution is to set up dyndns for a few
nodes, and add ConnectTo statements to those nodes.

If you really don't like setting up dyndns on more nodes, then you could
also write a host-up script that records the most recently seen
addresses of nodes. An example of such a script can be found here:

http://www.tinc-vpn.org/pipermail/tinc/2009-March/001893.html

In tinc 1.1, there is the AutoConnect feature which replaces manual
ConnectTo statements.