Warning - Raspberry Pi: WPA GUI & tinc crash

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Tue Jan 13 16:55:58 CET 2015

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 04:19:40PM +0100, Sven Galke wrote:

> without tinc installed, it runs flawlessly 24/7 via wlan or eth0 or even both.
> with tinc installed, it runs flawlessly 24/7 via eth0
> with tinc still installed, power off, plug in wlan, power on -> booom.
> so there maybe a serious conflict with other software (network, wpa-gui,..?).

There is nothing in tinc itself that detects whether it's communication
via a wireless or a wired network, so the issue is not with tinc. Since
both wireless and wired seem to work for you without tinc, I doubt there
is a problem with those components or the kernel drivers. If you plugged
your wireless dongle directly into the USB ports of the Raspberry Pi,
humor me and just try to find a powered hub, plug it into the Pi and
power it via its own adapter, and then put the wireless dongle into the
hub. Then try running tinc via the wireless dongle again.

I'm speaking from experience; making sure the Pi and anything you stick
into it gets enough power is hard. If it doesn't get enough, you get
problems similar to the ones you describe. Also, some brands of SD cards
are more prone to corrupt themselves when voltage levels aren't optimal
than others (I recommend brand names that start with an S over the one
that starts with a K).