Tincd fails to resolve domain names before it is started name resolution becomes available.

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Sun Feb 1 12:19:35 CET 2015

On Sun, Feb 01, 2015 at 04:08:47PM +0900, crocket wrote:

> If tincd is started before name resolution comes up, it keeps failing
> for ever to resolve domain names in Address= host configuration
> variable after name resolution becomes possible.
>
> I think tincd should succeed in resolving domain names after name
> resolution becomes available.

The problem is when /etc/resolv.conf is changed while a program is
running, glibc doesn't automatically notice this. Since tinc 1.0.25 and
1.1pre11, if you send tincd the ALRM signal, it will force glibc to
reload /etc/resolv.conf.

William Kennington mentioned running dnsmasq. This works around the
problem because in that case, /etc/resolv.conf always points to
localhost. I myself do something similar, but with Unbound.