Windows Firewall, network discovery

Erik Popp epopp at i2pmail.org
Wed Apr 22 22:32:21 CEST 2015

A couple of weeks ago, I asked for help with getting tinc to work with a
couple of issues.  I prioritize my hobby projects below essential
things, and I'm a bit scatterbrained when there's an internet
connection, so it took awhile before I finished trying the things you
suggested, and got to a point where I was stuck again.  Thanks for
taking the time to answer my questions!

I set the "*NdisDeviceType" property on the TAP device of my laptop and
the desktop.  On both of them, the "Unidentified Network" disappeared
from the network list.  I can still ping the other machines on the VPN,
and Windows Firewall is no longer misbehaving. If someone else has this
problem, point him to
http://aspoc.net/archives/2008/10/30/unidentified-network-issue-with-vmwares-virtual-nics-in-vista/

It explains what to do more clearly, if you're doing it by hand. The
link you gave
(http://nivot.org/blog/post/2008/09/05/VMWareVMNETAdaptersTriggeringPublicProfileForWindowsFirewall)
provides the script, but didn't explain well enough what was going on
for me to understand it.

I found out where I got the term "WAN loopback".  The Wikipedia article
on NAT has a section on "NAT loopback".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation#NAT_loopback

Your WinIPBroadcast program works great.

You asked which version of tinc I'm using:
Windows: 1.0.24
Linux:       1.0.23

Is tinc 1.1 now stable enough that any problems I'd encounter are most
likely of my own doing, rather than bugs in tinc?

I ran into 2 problems that are most likely caused by Age of Empires III,
but I wanted to run it by you in case I could solve them on the network
side.

I can ping the desktop and the laptop from each other, over the VPN.
AoE3 on the desktop decided to use the VPN for LAN gaming, while the
laptop chose the LAN.  On both, I prioritized the LAN adapters over the
VPN.  If I use an obscure trick
(http://www.tunngle.net/wiki/Network:Age_of_Empires_III:_Age_of_Discovery),
I can force AoE3 on each machine to use whichever address I want. But
they don't see each other over the VPN, and I can't use direct IP.

Wireshark says that there is a small stream of UDP packets going between
them, and I'm pretty sure that these are part of the game. It appears
that each machine will sometimes respond to the other. The most useful
info I found (in my opinion) is that when I tried to do LAN gaming with
a second desktop, with the VPN turned off, 1 of the machines was sending
ICMP port unavailable errors in response to each UDP packet.

Can you make sense of these symptoms?