Node behind SonicWall Router

Lance Fredrickson lancethepants at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 18:40:22 CET 2014

Recently the small business I work at replaced an aging linksys wrt
style router with a SonicWall one. Ever since this change I have issues
with this node falling back to TCP constantly. TCP for me ends up
performing very sub-par, and most of the time unworkable. For some
reason too the connection usually ends up being routed through another node.

I created a new tinc instance using TAP (instead of TUN) between this
work PC, and one other host. I then added an additional route command in
tinc-up so the work node is aware of the other tinc network. This seems
to work much better with the new router. I'm guessing the constant flow
and overhead (arps and such)  of TAP is helping to keep the sonicwall
device from dropping/closing the connection.

I tried playing with PingInterval and lowered it to 30 seconds while
previously using tun so the work node might stay better connected. I
didn't see any better results, maybe even lower is necessary.  If I were
to try to use tun again, would this be the route to go? lowering the
ping time? It seems like the connection needs more activity for the
connection not to be dropped.

I also have seen that running "tinc dump subnets" while using TAP
outputs the MAC addresses tinc is aware. The MAC addresses leading zeros
end up being truncated. Not really anything detrimental, but was just
wondering if this was unintended, and thought I'd bring it up.

Thanks,

Lance