Reliability of Tinc under load

Dominik George dominik.george at teckids.org
Tue Oct 28 18:24:02 CET 2014

Hi,

Tinc (1.0.24, GNU/Linux) has proven very unreliable under load.

We have several nodes connected, and some of them use another node as
default gateway to get a secured internet connection.

Both of these nodes work great and have a stable link when nothing but
ping probes pass over the link. However, running a full Debian
dist-upgrade, downloading a big mailbox, or just typing quickly in a SSH
session can make the Tinc connection break for seconds until it is
re-established.

We first thought that this happens on one node because it is backed by a
Wifi link, which is horrible for at least UDP, but the behaviour can
also be seen on a new node that has a proper ADSL link.

My first idea was to disable UDP between the nodes, but somehow that
does not look right.

What hints are there on making Tinc more reliable, especially over
slow/unreliable links such as Wifi, which often loose VPN packets?

Cheers,
Nik

--
Dominik George (Vorstandsvorsitzender, Pädagogischer Leiter)
Teckids e.V. - Erkunden, Entdecken, Erfinden.