Problem: "tun0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device"

Martin A. info at rdns.cc
Thu Jan 30 11:27:29 CET 2014

Hi,

i bought some VPS with KVM virtualization.

I installed tinc 1.1-pre9 as usual... Have multiple servers with this
working but now i got the following error...

    tincd -D -d -n NETWORK
    tincd 1.1pre9 (Jan 30 2014 11:09:17) starting, debug level 1
    /dev/net/tun is a Linux tun/tap device (tun mode)
    Listening on 31.XXX.XXX.46 port 655
    SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
    tun0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
    SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
    tun0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
    Script tinc-up exited with non-zero status 255
    Ready

lsmod says that tun is already loaded...

My config looks like this

    Name = node2
    BindToAddress = 31.XXX.XXX.46
    Port = 655
    AddressFamily = ipv4
    DeviceType = tun
    #Interface = /dev/net/tun9
    #MaxTimeout = 300
    #PMTU = 1440
    #PMTUDiscovery = no
    Cipher = AES-256-CBC
    Digest = SHA256

Hopefully someone could help me with the problem...

Kind regards
Martin