Impact of cipher and authentication to performance

Terry T terryhwt at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 13:55:01 CET 2014

Hi, I'm wondering how much performance boost there is to tinc if cipher and
digest are set to none.

In my application, I need to re-broadcast time not security sensitive
information to a bunch of connected remote users. The information is
usually disseminated in a LAN where there is not an issue with either
security or performance. However, for the connected remote users in number
of twenty to fifty off a Intel Core 2 duo Linux server running TINC on a
100Mbit fibre link, I am trying to wring more performance off the
configuration. Would it be correct to say that a 1M/s incoming multicast
packets to the server would be transmitted to each of the connected remote
users. Would the added overhead of encryption and authentication be
substantial that if there is no such need for security, it could be removed
from the host configuration file.

Is there any additional ways to improve the performance and timeliness of
the delivery of the multicast packets in tinc?