Current state of Tinc 1.1?

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Mon Dec 29 14:24:19 CET 2014

On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 08:12:04PM +0100, Edelwin Khaelos wrote:

> >That said, there are significant advantages to using external
> >libraries for this: some of them use heavily optimized (assembly,
> >tuned for SSE etc.) code for ChaCha-Poly1305, which is a big win for
> >tinc because it dramatically lowers CPU usage and increases maximum
> >achievable throughput. See
> >http://bench.cr.yp.to/impl-stream/chacha20.html
>
> This is quite a nice point, when you run tinc in OpenWRT on a small (and
> very limited) router :)

Now that the new protocol does not depend on OpenSSL anymore I'll try to
make it so that you can compile tinc without it. You'll lose backwards
compatibility with 1.0.x though.

If anyone wants to work on getting tinc's legacy protocol to work with
another library besides OpenSSL, be my guest. Look at src/openssl and
src/gcrypt in the 1.1 branch in git for what's required.