tinc reload not establishing new connections

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Mon Dec 29 11:25:30 CET 2014

On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 03:44:21PM +0530, Anil Moris wrote:

> I have a use case where I have to add new "ConnectTo=host" in tinc.conf and
> reload tinc. This is to make sure existing connections do not get
> disconnected.
> I use ...
> /usr/local/sbin/tinc --pidfile /var/run/tinc.vpn.pid -n vpn reload
> this works for most part, however, I am now seeing instance where I have to
> do a restart instead of reload. New connection works after a restart.

Which version of tinc are you using? Also, can you send me level 5 log
output from around the time you try the reload command but it doesn't
work? You can create the log this way:

/usr/local/sbin/tinc --pidfile /var/run/tinc.vpn.pid log 5 >logfile

Are you using the AutoConnect option?

> Is there a better way to ensure that new ConnectTo are established without
> having to do a full restart? Objective is to make sure existing connections
> do not get disrupted in any way.

It's supposed to work fine this way. I checked, it works fine for me.
Tinc should also automatically reload if you add ConnectTo using the
command line interface:

/usr/local/sbin/tinc -n vpn add ConnectTo host