Current state of Tinc 1.1?

Sandy McArthur Jr sandy at mcarthur.org
Mon Dec 22 18:04:42 CET 2014

On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 7:42 PM, Alexander Ypema
<alexanderypema at gmail.com> wrote:

> In short, does anyone know what the current state of Tinc 1.1 is? Is it recommended to use it at all, or stay with 1.0 as provided in most distro repositories?

Alexander, I don't speak for the Tinc team but I think this is a good
way to decide based on what is your use case.

Tinc 1.0:
I use Tinc across many platforms and devices and I want it to just
work. (Linux/Win/Mac/Android & Router/Server/Desktop/Laptop/Mobile). I
stick with the 1.0 series because that is packaged for me on all those
platforms and I don't want to have to support users as much. I should
be able to mix and match 1.0 and 1.1 but I don't want to have to
support that if there is a probem.

Tinc 1.1:
If I controlled all devices in the Tinc deployment I'd likely go with
the Tinc 1.1 series as I could keep those devices current and help the
Tinc project exercise new code and prove it's way forward ever so
slightly and roll back if necessary.

--
Sandy McArthur, Jr.

"No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare."
- Letters and Other Writings of James Madison (1865), Vol. IV, p. 491