additional Port entry in tinc hosts key file

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Sat Dec 20 22:11:22 CET 2014

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 04:41:24PM +0530, Anil Moris wrote:

> In some of the host file I am seeing a new line  "Port = 29732"  added at
> the end of the host key file...
[...]
> Any idea on what would cause that extra Port entry in the file?  How can I
> ensure it not added automatically?

This line is added automatically when you run tinc init and port 655 is
already in use. In that case, tinc automatically chooses a random unused
port, and adds it to its own host config file so it will use that port
in the future. It also prints a warning when this happens. For example:

$ sudo tinc -n foo init bar
Generating 2048 bits keys:
...+++ p
...................................................+++ q
Done.
Generating ECDSA keypair:
Done.
Warning: could not bind to port 655. Tinc will instead listen on port 28530.

> this line Port = 29732 is causing tinc to break. It all works fine once I
> manually delete the Port entry in the key hosts file.

What do you mean by "break"? Does tinc crash? Does it quit with an error
message? I tested your configuration, and it works. It uses the Port
specified in tinc.conf. Of course, if port 655 really is in use already
it will exit with this error message:

Can't bind to 0.0.0.0 port 655/tcp: Address already in use
Can't bind to :: port 655/tcp: Address already in use
Unable to create any listening socket!