Android GUI for tinc

calisro robert.calistri at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 17:03:05 CET 2014

Vil Brekin <vilbrekin at ...> writes:

> Hi Ivo,
>
> The higher battery drain is more or less expected, as the CPU has to
> work to process encryption.

I want to share some information around battery drain and android.  In my
experience, the extra battery drain will come from using a TAP interface
instead of a TUN interface.  What happens is the broadcast traffic as a
result of a TAP interface keeps the android device awake because of hte
constant chatter on the VPN.  I highly recommend that if someone is going
to use a 'always on' vpn or in circumstances where they want the phone to
sleep while the screen is off and tinc is running, that they use TUN
instead.  THere is no broadcast traffic on TUN and I have found much better
deep sleep.  In fact, with TAP, I was seeing near 100% AWAKE time on my
device caused by wakelock bam_dmux_wakelock.  You also may want to consider
adjusting the PingInterval in the tinc.confs to something more than 60
seconds to keep chatter down.  I've set mine to 5 minutes intead (300
seconds).

Sorry for necroposting here but I thought it was important to augment the
information in this thread with some experience that may help someone.