A tun/tap driver for an i386 OS X

David Nicol davidnicol at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 03:48:17 CET 2014

i'm pretty sure the tinc that builds from macports is 32-bit

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 10:37 AM, Anne-Gwenn Kettunen <anwen at asphodelium.eu>
wrote:

> Hello everyone!
>
> I have a PowerMac running 10.6.8 and I'd love to get it connected to my
> VPN. However, even by compiling tuntaposx by hand on the said MacPro, I see
> that the kernel module is apparently built for x86_64 systems:
>
> macintosh MacOS  ❯❯ pwd
> /Library/Extensions/tun.kext/Contents/MacOS
> macintosh MacOS  ❯❯ file tun
> tun: Mach-O 64-bit kext bundle x86_64
>

> Because YES! The system is running on an i386 (not stricto sensus) CPU
> (or maybe am I misinterpreting the meaning of
> "Darwin macpro 10.8.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.8.0: Tue Jun  7 16:33:36
> PDT 2011; root:xnu-1504.15.3~1/RELEASE_I386 i386
> " ?).
>
> Has anyone heard of an OS X tun/tap driver which could work on 32 bits
> platforms?

Sometimes I imply things, or include important information in pictures.
Without a request for clarification, I will assume I was clear, which can
cause later problems when I wasn't. So please ask me to clarify anything
that seems ambiguous. Doing so is not rude. Thank you.