Tons of "Failed to decrypt and verify packet"

Pedro Côrte-Real pedro at pedrocr.net
Mon Apr 7 01:50:45 CEST 2014

On Sun, Apr 6, 2014 at 8:58 PM, Julien Muchembled <jm at jmuchemb.eu> wrote:
> Le 04/06/14 16:44, Guus Sliepen a écrit :
>> I'm afraid I don't get any errors with your script, even after running it many
>> times. That doesn't mean I don't believe there is a bug, it's just hard to
>> find... There will be some substantial changes to the new protocol anyway, I
>> hope they will fix this issue.
>
> :(
>
> I tried to bisect. Last good revision is
>> e42bd60 Fix typos in the documentation.
> And I get errors with
>> c1703ea Remove an unused variable.

Sorry to chime in the middle. Maybe a clue. This sounds like something
is writing beyond bounds in the stack. Removing an unused variable on
the stack would change the part of the stack that is "safe" to
overwrite to.

Maybe Guus and Julien are not testing on the same architecture and
thus the stack doesn't grow the same way and doesn't show the same
symptoms. I had the same issue when coding with a friend that was
using a PPC mac a few years ago. Something that was a crashing for me
was only a memory corruption for him or vice versa.

Looking at the code I see:

fd = accept(sock, &sa.sa, &len);

where len is actually sizeof(sa) and not sizeof(sa.sa). Is that correct?

Then again maybe it has nothing to do with this. Running under
valgrind might help.

Pedro