Load-Distribution in Routed mode?

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Sun Apr 6 17:00:11 CEST 2014

On Sun, Apr 06, 2014 at 10:37:25PM +0800, shikkc wrote:

> >How will tinc route packages to 172.27.0.0/16 and fdd3:5d16:b5dd:3::0/64
> >sent from A?
> >
> >* Will load balancing between B1 and B2 take place?
> >* Is the decision stable - eg. is 172.27.23.42 routeded using B1 all time?
> >* Is anybody running similar setups?
>
> In my experience with this, tinc seems to (for unknown reasons) prefer the
> route with the first alphabetically named host.

That is correct. When two nodes own exactly the same Subnet, the behaviour is
currently to use the node with the lowest Name. That's just the way the
deterministic algorithm works at the moment. However, please don't rely on
this, in the future tinc will route packets to the closest node instead.

You can change the order of preference by assigning weights to the Subnets, see
the description of the Subnet statement in the manual:

http://tinc-vpn.org/documentation/Host-configuration-variables.html#index-Subnet