Load-Distribution in Routed mode?

shikkc shikkc at kirktis.net
Sun Apr 6 16:37:25 CEST 2014

> How will tinc route packages to 172.27.0.0/16 and fdd3:5d16:b5dd:3::0/64
> sent from A?
>
> * Will load balancing between B1 and B2 take place?
> * Is the decision stable - eg. is 172.27.23.42 routeded using B1 all time?
> * Is anybody running similar setups?

In my experience with this, tinc seems to (for unknown reasons) prefer the
route with the first alphabetically named host. For example in our setup if a
host is named 'elephant', and another named 'donkey', the host 'donkey' will
route all of this traffic and 'elephant' will be unused. I have not yet taken
the time to dig through the source looking for a reason to explain this, but
it happens consistently and regardless of the distance of nodes.