Routing control within one tinc network

Lee Essen lee.essen at nowonline.co.uk
Wed May 15 17:39:29 CEST 2013

Hi,

I have a question around whether there is any way to control tinc routing if you have multiple routes to the same destination.

I have a three node configuration, let's call them:

home -> connects to both other nodes
vps1 -> a VPS, providing connection to the internet
vps2 -> another VPS, also providing a connection to the internet

Both vps nodes provide their own 192.168.x.0 subnet as well as 0.0.0.0/0 to allow any traffic to go that way and out to the internet (via SNAT.)

My original plan was to have different weightings on the 0.0.0.0/0 networks so that I got a preferred vps node, but in the event of a problem it would effectively fail over to the other one. This config all works perfectly ... tinc is absolutely superb!

BUT ... my preferred vps node has a slight issue from a geographic standpoint that means some services don't work as well as they should ... I'd still like it to be the primary since it has a much bigger bandwidth allowance, but I'd like to route specific services over the other vps (obviously should this second node fail, I'd lose those things that don't work well on the primary ... I'm ok with this.)

So basically I have a single tinc VPN with two nodes providing 0.0.0.0/0 and I'd still like a way to force specific traffic over one or the other.

I tried using the 192.168.x.x address in the routing table, but that seems to be ignored, traffic still goes down the primary route.

I can't find a way to do this, which means I'm going to have to resort to two different tinc networks, which isn't as nice.

Any ideas would be really appreciated.

Regards,

Lee.