Iptables rules and internet access problems

Cédric Lemarchand cedric.lemarchand at ixblue.com
Fri May 10 21:22:04 CEST 2013

The simpliest way to debug issues like this is to add before your 'DROP'
a 'LOG' rule :

iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp --dport 80 -i eth0 -o eth1 -j LOG
--log-prefix 'DROPED '
iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp --dport 80 -i eth0 -o eth1 -j DROP

This way, every packets forwarded from eth0 to eth1 to a tcp port 80
will add en entry in your syslog.

If your iptables default policy is set to DROP, then just add the LOG
rule at the end of the table definition, before the final drop. Off
course, you can do that in INPUT, OUTPUT and FORWARD tables.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=iptables+log+drop

Cya