Problems with tunnel: Got late or replayed packet, packet is 150 seqs in the future, expiring symmetric keys

Håvard Rabbe hrabbe at me.com
Wed Feb 13 01:29:56 CET 2013

Hi!

I have som problems with my vpn tunnel. I have 6 nodes in the network.

Three of them is running tinc 1.1pre5
Three of them is running tinc 1.0.19

I also have vlan tagging between the nodes running tinc 1.1pre5

The problem is that get a bunch of errors in the log like the messages below (logs is attached in the email):

Got late or replayed packet from JOTPOS ("internal ip" port 655), seqno 68645, last received 68777
Packet from JOTPOS ("internal ip" port 655) is 150 seqs in the future, dropped (1)
Expiring symmetric keys

This results in packet loss and slow speed.
Its not like this all the time, but the problem comes and goes.

The time on all nodes is synced through ntp.

Do you have any idea of what these messages mean?