Problem with tinc.log and logrotate.

Ramses II ramses.sevilla at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 12:21:25 CEST 2013

Hi everyone again.

I run tinc with the following command:

/usr/sbin/tincd -d1 --logfile=/var/log/tinc.log

That creates the file "/var/log/tinc.log" correctly and reports into it.

Well, because I want to have a log file by day, I have created a logrotate
file (/etc/logrotate.d/tinc) that contains the following lines:

/var/log/tinc.log {
  missingok
  rotate 7
  daily
  create 0640 root root
}

When the rotate is does, the file "tinc.log" is renamed to "tinc.log.1" and
a new "tinc.log" is created but the problem is that tinc server goes on
reporting in the "tinc.log.1" file and not in the new "tinc.log".

Can tell me somebody how to can solve this without kill the tinc process?

Best regards,

Ramsés