Mobile Device Options

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Mon Jul 23 10:56:40 CEST 2012

On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 11:42:34PM -0400, Adam Del Vecchio wrote:

> I'm looking to use tinc. What are my options for connecting from a mobile device, e.g. iPhone/iPad or a droid?

Technically, tinc can run on an iPhone/iPad/Android device. For iPhone/iPad,
tinc can be compiled with tunemu support, which allows it to run on those
devices, although you probably need to root them. For Android devices you could
always run tinc in a chroot with for example a Debian installation, but it
should also be possible to compile it natively. Someone is working to make a
tinc package for Cyanogen, but nothing is finished as far as I know.

> Is there any backwards compatibility with IPSec or PPTP or anything? Or would
> it be possible to implement a solution where a pptp vpn is bridged to the
> tinc vpn so clients can 'see' other clients on either network?

You can always connect two VPNs together with bridging or routing, so that
might be the best option for now.